Thursday, October 3, 2013

Week 2 - Session 1 - (9/18/2013)

Announcements:
There is a Youth Contest:  the winning parent gets a free date night.
Workbooks still not in.  Copies handed out, if you did not get one, please call Shane or Erica.
Homework:  questions in the handout


Attached is a free download for Chapter 1 of the the Loving Our Kids on Purpose book.



Session One:  Introduction to Loving our Kids on Purpose

Session Topics:
  • Introduction
  • New Covenant and the Father's Heart
  • Freedom and Choices
  • Fear of Punishment
  • Heart-to-Heart Connection
  • Keeping your Love on
  • Key Ingredients to successful parenting


Introduction

How do we best present our Heavenly Father to our kids.  Whether we mean to or not, we project our View of God to our children.

"We don't know what we don't know".  We just reach into our tool-box, things we have seen in our lives, and we pull out our MOM.   After saying we will never be like our parents, we put her back in our tool box and reach in for something else and pull out our DAD.  We need to intentionally replace those tools.  We are marked with family perceptions during very young childhood.  Our experiences in life fill our toolbox regarding every aspect of life.  


Video:  POEM : What a mom would say in 24-hrs, condensed to 2 minutes and 55 seconds:



As parents, we "gotta" get stuff done, and we need cooperation.  
"Your will be done in this house as I am sure it must be done in heaven"

Parenting begins in the way you perceive things, then the template given to you was influenced by your parents' paradigm.


In our toolbox, Dobson talks about spanking, but to hurt the will not the spirit.  How do you spank to hurt the will and not the spirit?  Danny Silk had to foster parents how to parent other people's children when they were not allowed to spank them.  This led him to do research.

Love and Logic - Foster Cline and Jim Faye. http://www.loveandlogic.com/     http://www.loveandlogic.com/t-factsheet.aspx 



New Covenant and the Father's Heart

The Heart of the Father :  Lasting Relationship, Covenant Momentum

HIS commitment is to put the same spirit in our children that HE put in us.  "Train them up in the way they should go and they shall not depart from it   "


Jeremiah 31:31-34

“Behold, days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the Lord. “But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the Lord, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. “They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the Lord, “for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more” (Jeremiah 31:31-34).

Transition from 

ExternaltoInternal Relationship
Law and PunishmenttoLiving Inside us

Setting a true foundation  (video)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZcGdKXQxqo 


Freedom and Choices



Fear of Punishment




Red Truck / Yellow Truck parenting




Heart-to-Heart Connection

Creating Connections and Keeping them



I will instruct you with my eyeball:



Keeping your love on










Key Ingredients to Successful Parenting
  1. CONNECTION:  Heart to Heart
  2. EMPOWERMENT:  "What are you going to do?"
  3. SAFE PLACE:   "I can handle your mistakes."
  4. UNCONDITIONAL LOVE:  "Nothing can separate you from my love."

No comments:

Post a Comment